Tools and Jigs
This list of hand tools is by no
means absolute but only a guide. Most are available locally in the strangest of
- Xacto knife set.
- Xacto saw #234 course cut
- Xacto saw #239 fine cut ( the most used ).
- Hacksaw 6", use fine scroll saw blades.
- Sand paper P100 & P120 ( cut in 2" squares ).
- Emery Boards ( yes for nails, the paper type available at
Dollar or 99 cent stores 50 for 1$ ).
- Spring clamps 1/2" to 3".
- Rat tail file set. 1/8 " round, square, flat and triangle
( Corradi - see Lee Valley ).
- Small regular files 1/4" square, round, flat and
- Drill bits 1/8" to 3/8".
- Steel ruler 6" and 12".
- Syringe and tips ( for gluing ).
- Hand drill 1/4".
- Pocket combination square 6".
- Panavise type vacuum base # 380, regular head # 303 and
wide opening head #396.
Optional electrical tools and machinery
required unless you acquire the special parts.
- Task hole saw kit- circular and mandrel 5/8",
7/8", 1 3/8" and 1 7/8" ( used for the wheels ).
- Electric hand drill 1/4" chuck.
- Drill press ( used to cut the wheels and hollow the pistons
- Band saw 1/8" blades ( used to cut track links to save
- Bench saw ( used to groove the wheels ).
- Drummel ( used to groove the steering wheels; hand files
- Round sanding disk for drill ( used on large pieces ).
- Router ( used to groove the wheels ).
Jigs are not precision instruments and require
adjusting and getting familiar with in order to achieve the desired results.
are guides to facilitate the making of certain pieces, always plan to make
more than what you need
If you plan to make other models that use the same
parts, make these ahead of time while your jig is in place.
will be listed as they become available.
- Cap and hole jig ( indispensable tool for making caps and
holes in dowels ).
The next jigs are described on
the plans so you can make your own..
- Large wheel tread groove jig ( used with the bench saw or
- Dowel holder for hollowing pistons
- Piece holder to make tracks with a band saw.
- 5 blade holder to make tire treads in small wheels.